1) I have ugly feet. Flat with nasty bunions. Thus I rarely wear fancy shoes, and only own about a half dozen sensible shoes. It’s good for my pocketbook, but makes it hard to put together a stylish look. But I do love to paint my toe nails, at least they can be pretty.
2) I can probably count the number of mani-pedis I’ve had on one hand. Just a couple times for special occasions.
3) My favorite childhood books were Where the Red Fern Grows, Lisa Bright and Dark, A Wrinkle in Time. And another pair of books about a girl who goes blind in her early teens and gets a guide dog, but I forget the titles.
4) Our family dog when I was little was a fat beagle named Tessie. My dad built her a deluxe dog house, complete with shingles that matched the house, a window, porch and wall-to-wall carpeting. I, however, tried to make her drag her old butt through a hula hoop while playing circus.
5) I was held up at gunpoint in college. When the young perpetrator pulled out his weapon and asked for our money (I was with a friend), I immediately said “We don’t have any money, we just bought dinner,” and kept walking. Unfortunately my friend stopped. He got about $15 and we spent the next 3 hours sitting around in the police station.
6) I dated a paucity of men before meeting my husband. My experience with men was probably equal to Sarah Palin’s knowledge of foreign policy.
7) I am the only one of my siblings to go away to college.
8) I never rode an airplane until I was in my 20s.
9) Every university I went to was in a ghetto bad neighborhood in Philadelphia.
10) I love riding trains.
11) I don’t like the smell of subways.
12) I worked as a copy editor for a big New York city newspaper for a summer in college, while living in Mineola. Thus I am a stickler for format and such. The lead must be in the first paragraph! Don’t bury the lead! (and I had to go back and be sure there were 2 spaces after each parentheses in this post)
13) I love a pretty room, and can’t wait until I have some.
14) I’m a recovering perfectionist.
15) I love being the mom to boys, but hate playing cars and trucks. I will be equally loathe to play Barbie.
16) I played lacrosse in high school … until I got cut in junior year.
17) One of my favorite things to do in veterinary school was going to lunch time pathology rounds. This was when we’d go look at the diseased insides of animals right after scarfing down our sandwich.
18) Sarcasm is how my family shows love.
19) My oldest brother changed my diapers.
20) I’m not sure, but I might have broken a boy’s arm in middle school. He used to torment me on the bus. One Friday I retaliated and grabbed his arm and twisted it around. Monday he had a cast.
21) I stole a pair of sunglasses from the drug store I worked at in high school.
22) I have probably watched The Terminator more than 50 times.
23) I tried out for the school play every year in high school, but never made it. (my 20 year reunion is coming up, can you tell?)
24) I was in the best physical shape of my life during undergrad. Sadly those days are gone.
25) I have had 7 rounds of IUI, 3 rounds of IVF, and 3 miscarriages.
26) Almost all the furniture we have bought from an actual store is from IKEA.
27) I love antiques. I can spend hours in an antique mall. LOVE the hunt for a bargain.
28) I painted nearly every surface in our first house. It took about 3 years.
29) My first vegetable garden was in my uncle’s backyard when I was about 13.
30) I had my first job when I was 10 — helping my brother deliver newspapers. He gypped me about $10 per week. Eventually I forgave him.
31) I did my own hair for my wedding.
32) My favorite moments with my children are watching them with their dad.
33) I love decorating magazines. (see #13)
34) My favorite flowers are hydrangeas. (and my husband would probably not know this)
35) I want to learn how to use a circular saw, table saw, chop saw … any power tool that will help me build furniture. (see #26)
36) If I could get away with it, I would eat cookies for breakfast every day.
37) I’ve probably only read 5 novels in the last 5 years … but more than 500 blog posts.
38) I love my family, my life, my present.
Thanks Mom, for enduring labor (even if it involved plenty of drugs) for the 6th time in order to give me this life, 38 years ago today.