This month I’m featuring posts as a part of #reverb10, an annual event and online initiative to reflect on your year and manifest what’s next.
December 8 – Beautifully Different. Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful. (Author: Karen Walrond)
This morning was difficult, in many ways and on several personal levels. I was feeling far from beautiful when I read this prompt. Far, far, far. I wanted to cry because I felt like there was no way I could make such a list. So, many deep breaths and hours later (sshh, and a glass of wine), and I’m going to try.
1. I am honest. Often painfully so, but I’m finding I have more tact and finesse than I did in my youth.
2. I can get things done. Not always for myself, but in a group or for a cause I can make things happen.
3. I am open. I’m surprised to say this one, but a kind new friend paid me this compliment, and I was proud to receive it. I’ve been able to admit I have strong opinions and will readily share them, but I typically think of myself as rather shy. I suppose I have become a bit less worried about what others think of me (in a good way, I hope).
4. I will be there for my family, always. Distance has kept me from being able to do the little things for my extended family. But that is something special about my kin — despite distance or lack of contact, I think all my siblings know that, in a pinch, we will be there for one another. At a time of crisis, all is forgiven and the problem tackled. I love that about them. I will be there for my husband and children in the same way, and hope to foster in them the same sense of responsibility.
5. I am creative. I am working on this one, but I hope it leads me down all kinds of new roads.
Thanks for listening.